School & Community Engagement
If we can be honest for a moment being a teen today isn’t easy. Yes, they get to enjoy a ton of conveniences that we simply couldn’t fathom growing up in “our day”; but they are also exposed to harmful messages that make this stage of development more complicated then ever before. So naturally that makes supporting these young people a bit more unique.
Here are a few facts:
- Nearly one in three adolescents (31.9%) will meet criteria for an anxiety disorder by the age of 18.
- Adolescent girls are more than twice as likely than adolescent boys to experience depression (15.9% vs. 7.7%)
- Over 37% of students with a mental health condition ages 14-21 who are served by special education drop-out; the highest drop-out rate of any disability group.
Unfortunately statistics like these are becoming the norm. Needless to say schools, have become the Defacto Mental Health agency. So if teachers and counselors are playing therapist what parts of their actual jobs aren’t getting done? I know this is a problem because I have not only sat in the room with the kiddo silently dealing with depression. I have also sat in the room with school counselors that are simply overwhelmed, traumatized and burnt out. So, with the goals to engage, empower, educate and encourage hope and accountability, I developed the following services:
Student Workshops & Support Groups:
Campus Support Groups for depression & anxiety
Empowerment Workshops, some of my popular talks include:
- Who says young folk’ have no values!?
- Liking yourself as an act of rebellion!
- Dismissing the myths around depression and anxiety
- Creating and practicing healthy boundaries in relationships
Multi-Family After-School Workshops, topics include:
Workshops are designed to engage parents from a place of compassion and support
Navigating Teen Depression & Anxiety
What’s love got to do with healthy communication?
Collaborative Parenting…Its not as scary as it sounds!
Educators/Staff PD trainings and workshops:
As a speaker my objectives are to educate, normalize and empower school staff members with resources and information; resulting in enhanced competence
- Mental Health Basics
- Navigating mental health in the classroom
- Compassion burnout support workshop
Benefits of working with Me
- Whether the message is crafted to meet the needs of your student’s, their families or the educators & counselors who passionately invest energy into our children day in and out. My services are based on the foundation of years of clinical experience and 1:1 interactions.
- Services are affordable for any school budget
- 95% of my participants (students, educators & families alike) agree that my workshops and educational presentations are informative and impactful.
“Is there any way that we can just hire and clone you, while we go on vacation!?” – AV Academy School Counselor
“Even though I was sitting right next to my daughter during the workshop, Nikki speaks to parents and their kids about hard topics in a way that is funny and caring. I cried…” – Parent workshop participant
Mrs. Nikki is really funny and relatable. I always leave the empowerment workshops feeling heard and less alone. – Student Empowerment participant